It wasn't that long ago when the idea of a truggy was just someone experimenting with monster truck tires on their 1/8 buggy. Next drivers began fitting truck bodies on their buggies with monster truck tires. Shortly after, companies such as Mugen Seiki, introduced the MBX-T truggy conversion kit for 1/8 buggies. Today, truggy's are a streamline class in the industry that are made up of factory designed kits instead of experimental Frankenstein machines.
With the strong burst of electric short course vehicles and racing within the past several years, we really expected nitro short course to become more popular than it is. Is it the expense? Hassle of another kit? No true race inspired kits?
The guys down under at OCR Raceway in Australia may have just uncovered what could be the next truggy class. They have put together a class known as Outlaw Trucks. These trucks are based off of any existing nitro 1/8 buggy chassis with a few minor conversions to fit a short course body and bumpers. It's a quick and easy conversion, and opens up an entirely new class of short course racing. With the ability to use any existing 1/8 buggy chassis, and only a few additional add-ons, the idea of Outlaw truck racing provides an inexpensive and very competitive new racing class.
The guys were nice enough to share with us some footage of the Outlaw trucks, as well as parts needed to convert your very own buggy to an Outlaw truck. OCR Raceway even has a standard set of rules to keep everyone in line and racing fair.
"The Spirit and Intent of the Outlaw Truck class is to recycle 1/8 buggy's back onto the race track, and for those drivers that like the Short Course truck racing class but want more of the 1/8 agression and power etc etc etc :). The rules below are provisional and are subject to change, and must be considered with the spirit and intent of the class in mind. As most body and bumper fitments will require some form of adaption, modification etc all trucks are subject to safety inspections.
We have found the Outlaw Trucks to be a little more on edge than a 1/8 buggy, but having said that the lap times are within 0.5 seconds at the first event. So they look awesome, handle similar to a buggy, are just as strong and reliable and are just as fast on the track." -OCR
OCR Outlaw Truck Class Rules and Specs:
- 1/8 Nitro or Electric BUGGY Chassis ONLY
- Short Course Truck body ONLY (Body must fully enclose the chassis and as much of the tyres as possible).
- No wings allowed(unless a wing is a manufacturers integral part of the fitted body).
- Bodies must be securely mounted with pins front and rear.
- Front windscreen must be kept complete except for a fuel access hole of NO more than 60mm diameter, Side windows can be removed for air flow, Rear panels behind roof line can be cut to allow airflow, but must not detract from the, look, integrity and strength of the body.
- Front and rear bumpers MUST be fitted.(Front bumper must be in line or extend past front body line, rear bumper within reason must be in line with or extend part rear body line)
- No metal bumpers or barwork allowed.
- Metal body and bumper mounting plates allowed, but MUST be radiused on all corners, and must not protrude in anyway as to be a danger to marshalls and other vehicles.
- 1/8 Buggy tyres and rims only.
- Nitro and Electric powered (No Motor restrictions).
- EP Max 4 Cells (Hard Case ONLY).A buggy body is allowed to be fitted under the truck body as a way of protecting the internal components from debris.
- All General construction, safety and dimensional specs as per 1/8 buggy.
- All Outlaw Truck races are of 5 minute duration.
The idea is awesome, and it could very well become the next part of short course racing. Will manufacturer's start designing race inspired 1/8 nitro short course if more and more tracks around the world offer such a class?
Needless to say, we were excited to see the footage, and thanks to Tony and the OCR crew we are putting together our very own Outlaw Truck as we speak.
Interested in building your own Outlaw truck? Here is a list of parts recommended by the OCR racers to get you going!
- Front Bumper - Hobao H10SC - Part # 11025
- Rear Bumper - Hobao H10SC - Part # 11026
- Body Mount set - Hobao H10SC - Part # 11024
- Hong Nor body mount set - Part # ES-44
- Most of the 4x4 SC Truck bodies will fit, but all will require some cutting to suit.
Share your thoughts and comments on the idea of Outlaw trucks, and check out some of the OCR photos below!