Moment with Mike: Dumbest Moments in R/C
Thursday, Sep 6, 2012 10:46am
By Mike Garrison
On TV today there are a long list of shows featuring some of the most hilarious and dumb things caught on film. Everything from smashing faces on scooters, to petting zoo animals attacking. Sitting on the couch last night watching these shows it occured to me that R/C deserves a show of its own called, "Dumbest Moments in R/C".
Whether you admit it or not, we have all made those classic "dumb mistakes" that are TV worthy.
I made a list of just a few that I can think of from personal experience:
- While gluing your tires you glue your pants, tire bands, tire, and wheel to your leg.
- Installing diffs in opposite directions, causing the front wheels to go backwards and the rear wheels to go forwards (Homer mistake).
- Arc welding in your pit area by touching your tools to the hot leads of a charger.
- Stripping out a screw on a buddy's car, and packing it with dirt to look as though you never touched it.
- Leaving your car on after the race for a pit table runaway, wiping out an entire crowd of racer's toolboxes and cars.
- Grabbing firmly on a hot soldering iron to see if it is hot enough to solder.
- Spraying motor spray in your starter box motor to get it working again, resulting in small uncontrollable pit lane fire.
- Shutting off a nitro car by tapping the flywheel with your finger, only to find out you stuck your finger in the spur gear instead.
- Flopping out a battery pack on the back straightaway because you were too busy staring at pizza delivery girl to put your battery strap back on.
- Driving an entire race with the steering backwards because you will lose too much time to stop and switch models on your radio.
- Knocking out the power to the entire facility by shorting out your charger while setting up your pits.
- Put on a fresh new body wrap and decals only to find out you didn't peel the protective film of the body after painting it.
- Your race is up, and you may a quick pitstop at the bathroom, where you drop your glow ignitor and stopwatch in the toilet.
- Feeling like a "hotshot" after winning your heat race, and face planting coming off the drivers stand.
- Too look busy you take your wheels and tires on and off, on and off, on and off...but forget to tighten the last wheel nut.
- In a crowded hobby store you knock multiple airplanes and car kits off the shelf, only to blame the kid behind you in line.
- Talking on the drivers stand before the race starts, repeatedly pulling the trigger, and not knowing you have broke your car in half driving it into the back wall multiple times during the conversation.
- Trying to burn a hole through the newbie's car that just smoked your best time by staring continuously at it with angry eyes.
- Ordering pasta at the track with no fork, the smell of real food as opposed to track food drives you take the rear a-arm off your car to eat it with.
- Recording an entire video interview with a famous R/C racer for LiveRC during a major race, only to find out you forgot to press record when trying to watch it on the roadtrip home.
These are only a FEW of the personal moments of "brilliance" in R/C that I have experienced. I could go on and on, but I'll stop before I embarass myself...
WE WANT TO KNOW WHAT YOUR "DUMBEST MOMENTS IN R/C" LIST LOOKS LIKE!
Share your dumbest moments, thoughts, and comments below!